Monday 2 January 2023

2023 Plans - Part 1: Overview

 Welcome to 2023!

Business plans for 2023
"Business plans for 2023" by Marco Verch is licensed under CC-BY-2.0.

I don't really "do" resolutions, especially not New Year Resolutions. Why? 
  1. I forget the things I planned if I'm not actively doing them
  2. If I want to do / start / stop a thing, then postponing it to an arbitrary date doesn't help me - I start it right away (or don't!) - building in procrastination just sets me up to continue procrastinating!
  3. If put on the spot, I find I just think of things to propose, which aren't necessarily things that would help me or which I actively want to do the most, just what came to the top of my head right then
So, what I am doing instead is using today as an opportunity to write down the things I was already hoping to do this year. There is no "today is the new start" aspect to this, just an acknowledgement of y plans for the forthcoming year. These are split into sections to try to group my plans. Unlike a traditional list of resolutions, the aim of this is to try to keep my ever burgeoning list of Things I Want to Do in a somewhat manageable state, and hopefully to limit my goals to things which I can reasonably accomplish within the limits of my brain and body's capacities.

Personal and Professional Development

  1. Complete at least 50% of my chartership submission
    • This has been rumbling on now for almost 5 years, so this year I want to get some concrete progress on it.
  2. EITHER Get my hours increased at my current post OR Seek a new post
    • I am stagnating at work, which could be fixed with either more hours (more time to develop the role) or finding something altogether new.
  3. Continue my Russian classes and consider taking the C1 exam either this year or register again at C1 to take it in 2024.
  4. Complete another year on Duolingo. 2023 focus languages
    • Russian
      • Primary focus
    • French
      • Secondary focus
    • Ukrainian
      • B1/2
    • Italian
      • A2/B1 - revive my old Beginner's level
    • Arabic
      • A1/2 - Recognise the alphabet, Get basic greetings, numbers and please/thank you
    • Chinese
      • A1 - Recognise characters

Leisure

  1. Read between 2 and 4 books a month. My Goodreads target is currently set at 24 books, or 2 per calendar month.
    • Lacking commuting time, I am reading less fiction books than I want to, and my TBR is insane. 
    • 2-4 books a month is one every week or so.
    • No limits on length - just published separately (e.g. a Tor.com short book is the same as Lord of the Rings in this count)
  2. Play PC games at least once per week

Craft

  1. Sewing - no more than 1 project per month.
    • Complete three basic 19th Century outfits
      1. Early - 1800s-1820s
      2. Mid-century - 1850s-1860s 
      3. Late - 1890s-1900s
    • Complete some practical outfits for general wearing
  2. Do the fox painting my parents bought me for Christmas 2021
  3. Practice crochet
Health

  1. Weight control
    • This is probably the closest thing I have to a traditional New Year's Resolution, but in this case it has a specific target and end date. 
      • Target: 95kg
      • Purpose: Anaesthesia for transfer
      • Date: April 2023
  2. Exercise
    • I need to force myself to exercise more or I won't achieve my target weight.
    • Ever since breaking my ankle mid-summer 2022 I've been struggling with walking, so I will be getting a month's membership to the local swimming pool for January and trying to go at least once per week. Depending on how successful that is, I will decide whether to continue to fight the work insurance people and get "proper" gym membership sorted or continue using the local pool. Swimming as my main "big exercise" should reduce the pressures on both my ankle and my existing arthritis. 
    • Minimum target: 
      • Walk at least 3x a week
      • Static cycle at least 2x per week
      • Swim 1x per week
  3. Teeth
    • Arrange for 3 teeth to be pulled - I have two wisdom teeth coming in a 90° angle off from the angle they SHOULD be at, and one has also crushed into the tooth alongside and is sitting half inside that tooth, and is slowly killing it.
    • Dentist wants this completed before my other treatment starts again, and we don't want to delay that more than a month ideally.
    • Date: Jan/Feb 2023
  4. ASD & ADHD
    • Consider the value of pursuing a formal ADHD diagnosis
    • Evaluate whether can afford to continue counselling sessions from 2022 now that they are no longer included in my NHS coverage (12 sessions covered)

No comments:

Post a Comment