Sunday 8 January 2023

2023 Reading Plan

Just to see how much my plan changes over the next 12 months, here are my short and long lists for 2023, as of 1 January 2023. I'm writing this in advance, so I may need to go back in here and edit off any books that I've read over Christmas as I've added in my remaining 2022 shortlist here.

I am also vaguely working on a general "book challenge" for the last few years looking at reading "genre books" from around the world. About 10 years ago, I saw a challenge from someone who read a book from every nation, and thought that that would be a good way to read outside my personal perspective, however a lot of the books bored me - not because they were bad books, but because they weren't my style. So I wondered whether it would be even possible to do this myself BUT focussing on books from the genres I prefer - mostly speculative fiction (SF, Fantasy, PNR) and Historical romance. It's taking a while to discover and then find copies of books that fit, but I haven't set a deadline for completing this. Nevertheless, hopefully some items from that will be able to come into my reading this year. 

To define the two types of lists for 2023:

Shortlist - books I definitely plan to read this year. These fall into the following categories:

  1. I just really want to read this - e.g. next in series, excitement, etc.
  2. I've started so I'll finish - books that are partly complete. I'm making a special effort in 2023 to clear up my backlog of partially read books.
  3. Already borrowed - books that I currently have out on loan. I want to only have new (to me) books on loan from the library after January, if at all possible.
Not on this list, but which will be later - Awards (Hugo 2023 probably) and Bookgoup. Because I can't predict these ahead of time, I will obviously have to wait to add them until they are decided. So the name of 2023 for me is "Backlog and Fun" - books stop being fun if you have to read them, so I will deal with those I have to as a priority and then the rest should be mostly fun!

Longlist - these are books which I want to read, but which don't have deadlines on them in the same way as those on the Shortlist.
  1. Reviews owed. I have a backlog here too, which needs dealing with.
  2. Awards backlog - I have some outstanding books from the 2020 and 2021 Hugos that I never got around to. I want to tidy this off too.
  3. Books I own already - mostly gifts
  4. Things I'd like to read, but don't own
  5. Next books in series - some of these are being bumped up to Shortlist if I've been wanting to read for a while but haven't got around to continuing the series.
NB - Neither list is in a specific order, beyond the order in which I added them to the list.

Shortlist

Title Author Reason
A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2) Tanya Huff Library borrowed
A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9) Seanan McGuire
Belief and Unbelief in Medieval Europe John H. Anold
Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1) Andrzej Sapkowski
False Value (Rivers of London #8) Ben Aaronovitch
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of OrĂ¯sha, #1) Tomi Adeyemi
Cold Comfort Farm Stella Gibbons
Cursor's Fury (The Codex Alera, #3) Jim Butcher
Elsewhens (Glass Thorns, #2) Melanie Rawn
Fantasy from Asia and the Asian Diaspora Zen Cho
From the Editorial Page of the Falchester Weekly Review (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3.5) Marie Brennan
In Ashes Lie (Onyx Court, #2) Marie Brennan
Infinity Wars Jonathan Strahan
Lost Gods Micah Yongo
Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9) J.D. Robb
Lud-in-the-Mist Hope Mirrlees
Mindtouch (The Dreamhealers, #1) M.C.A. Hogarth
No Longer a Gentleman (The Lost Lords #4) Mary Jo Putney
Old Peter's Russian Tales Arthur Ransome
Redemption's Blade (After the War, #1) Adrian Tchaikovsky
Regent's Park: From Tudor Hunting Ground to the Present Paul A. Rabbitts
She Who Became the Sun (The Radiant Emperor #1) Shelley Parker-Chan
Stars Above: A Lunar Chronicles Collection Marissa Meyer
Strange Brew P.N. Elrod
The All Souls Complete Trilogy Deborah Harkness
The Book Eaters Sunyi Dean
The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut Universe #1) Mary Robinette Kowal
The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1) Alison Goodman
The Fifth Season N.K. Jemisin
The Gatekeeper's Staff: An Old Gods Story (TJ Young & The Orishas #1) Antoine Bandele
The Girl in The Tower (Winternight Trilogy, #2) Katherine Arden
The House in the Cerulean Sea T.J. Klune
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms N.K. Jemisin
The Human Experience: Andzhaparidze, Contemporary American and Soviet Fiction and Poetry Georgii Andzhaparidze
The Hunt Chloe Neill
The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways Wilbert Awdry
The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2) S.A. Chakraborty
The Light Ages: The Surprising Story of Medieval Science Seb Falk
The Machine Breaker Convicts from the Proteus and the Eliza Bruce W. Brown
The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) R.F. Kuang
The Resurrectionist of Caligo Wendy Trimboli
The Silk Roads: The Extraordinary History that created your World – Children's Edition Peter Frankopan
The Ten Thousand Doors of January Alix E. Harrow
The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1) Django Wexler
The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal #2) Zen Cho
The Way of All Flesh (Raven, Fisher, and Simpson, #1) Ambrose Parry
Thorn Intisar Khanani
Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3) Marie Brennan
Witches and Warriors collection (Kindle bundle) Lindsay Buroker
Witness in Death (In Death, #10) J.D. Robb
- - -
Uncanny Magazine 2023 issues
Apex Magazine 2023 issues
BBC History Magazine 2023 issues

Longlist

Title Author Reason
The Light Brigade Kameron Hurley
October Daye, #10-14 Seanan McGuire

No comments:

Post a Comment