Monday 31 October 2022

Books and That, #2 (October 2022)

 Things I've Read Recently

Books - any format
  • The Grief of Stones / Katherine Addison
    • The sequel to The Witness for the Dead, focussing again on Thara Celehar. This was as awesome as I had hoped, and has left me feeling very sad that The Tomb of Dragons isn't even published yet!
  • Min Zemerin's Plan / Katherine Addison
    • Having realised that The Tomb of Dragons is at least a year away from me, I was rather pleased to see that there was a short story in the series that I could read right now. This is short, but has everything I love about the world in it. I hope that the characters in this show up at least tangentially in the novel(s), as I'd love to see how they get on in future.
  • Mr Godey's Ladies / Robert Kunciov
    • I spotted this on eBay for a couple of quid and thought "Why Not?". It's a small book, but covers the span of the 19th Century US ladies' fashion magazine Godey's Ladies Book. The plates from the originals of this serial are very popular for costume research, and the book reprints a number of these in colour, though not at full size as the book itself is only the size of a standard paperback (although printed in a hardcover format). It also has line drawings from the magazines printed throughout, and alongside the descriptions printed at the time. Kunciov doesn't seem to have written anything else on the subject that I can find, but in this book he manages to provide commentary on the magazines, fashions, and their historical context without distracting from the original texts.
  • North and South / Elizabeth Gaskell (Clare Wille, narrator)
    • I haven't finished this yet - I'm currently 3 hours in.
  • The President's Brain is Missing / John Scalzi
    • I randomly picked this to read before bed the other night. It's fun, it's a bit silly, and it was just right for a before-sleep read! 
Term has started for my Russian classes (C1 now), so I'm also reading various Russian language texts, but I'm not counting those here for leisure reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment