Saturday 18 September 2021

September Musings

 So, I've been guilting myself a lot over what I haven't achieved in the last few months, and I need to stop that. For our own mental and physical health, sometimes we need to have a break, even from the things we do for fun. I needed that break to stop things sliding into obligations instead of fun...

To that end, while I am going to continue writing down each month my plans for that month, I'm only going to do a "what I did" roughly each quarter. I'm also going to count Research for projects as a genuine part of one, not just the bit that comes first. I shall also share the things I've been eyeing up on eBay or auction sites, regardless of whether I will even try to imitate the item or to buy it.

I will keep a running tally of books I've read recently, as I find this is professionally soothing too. 

Speaking of professional matters, I've been remarkably quiet on that front in a very long time. Currently I've feeling very sidelined at work, and due to a reshuffle internally I have also become very aware of the lack of options for progression where I am. I love what I do, and enjoy working with all my colleagues (a feat in itself at some places I've worked!), but now that I've seen that truth I can't unsee it. I don't want to be here in this exact role, earning close to the same wage, for another 25+ years, so I need to look at how I would move on. What skills do "next step" jobs require as essentials which I lack (mostly the old chestnut of 'extensive management experience', which I can't get because I don't have it already), what parts of my job do I need to focus on and what parts can I let go of or delegate. I have applied to a couple of roles speculatively, and got one interview. Unless that interview miraculously turns into a positive job offer*, I plan to spend the next year actively setting myself up for my next role whatever that may be. Work have subscribed us all to LinkedIn learning, so I will go through that this weekend, note down everything I feel will add to my skill-set positively, and then add those to my list for my next PDR as that is conveniently up for review shortly. Basically I am taking the initial resentment and dissatisfaction and reshaping that into motivation and forward professional momentum. It's very easy to be unhappy where you are and yet do nothing to improve that. There are some definite positives in remaining where I am for the next year or so, but I am now realising that I need to simultaneously plan my exit strategy. 

*Positive job offer, because not all offers are positive nor are they roles you want to take after your interview experience.

Exit Strategy

  • Identify essential skills I am lacking
    • Find ways to meet those requirements either within work, or by taking on a role outside work
  • Identify skills which I have and want to improve, as this would be an area I desire to work with more
    • Work on those skills
  • Monitor job alerts - both nationally and internationally
    • Identify locations and sectors I am willing to work in
    • Where I see something I like, start the application form - even if I don't submit it, the process will be valuable for identifying areas I need to reinforce
    • If I see roles that are two steps ahead of me now, note their requirements and add those into my skill-set plan - while I might not be able to do that now, I don't really want to be in exactly the same situation in 5-10 years hence.

What I've Read (since July because backlog!)

Piranesi
Black Moth / Georgette Heyer (audiobook)

No comments:

Post a Comment