Monday 5 July 2021

June into July

How in HELL did it get to the end of June ALREADY?! Work is ramping up for me, as Summer is one of my busy times - most changes get held off until there are the least amount of students registered, which is usually the Summer Vacation period. I'm also getting ready to go on holiday at the end of July, and I cannot wait! I delayed this post a little as I wanted to have time to write and to finish off some bit over the weekend. In general, I've decided to include the first weekend of the month as part of both the previous AND current month, depending on whether I'm referring to completing or to starting a task. To clarify, that means that for things I have finished off this weekend, they count for June, but anything I start this weekend are part of July's Completed list. So the craft projects I've been working on throughout June are being completed today and tomorrow, but the book I have started today (Saturday) is being counted under July's reading list.
 
Unfortunately I was unable to get to the Re-enactors' Market this month, as although Coventry isn't too far from here, door to door the journey is a nightmare by public transport. That said, I didn't exactly have tons of cash to spend anyway, so maybe it was for the best!

Challenge for June was: "Sumer is icumen in", with a side helping of Pride Month.
Challenge for July is "Just do it!"

Forward planning:

August - Academia and Allure
September - Spooks and Secrets

Completed in June

  1. Crafting

    Bonnet -

    Buckram cut out.
    Need to purchase some wire cutters to proceed further (negotiating budgets now!)
    Parasol -
    Frame acquired
    Geometry of pattern piece completed 
    About to cut out pattern pieces today (5th July). This is going to be a multi-month project, but that's OK!

  2. Baking

    Oops - Christmas cake should now be done today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow because I have had 2 big panic attacks this week, so I'm pretty low on spoons). Under my current rules, however, that means it's July completion. 

  3. House stuff

    1. More boxes moved, empties, filled, and so on.
    2. Steam cleaned the window sill and (most of) the window in landing/hallway
      Most of, because I can't reach the whole thing as it is a wide window that is above the stairs, so there reaches a point where I'm too far down the stairs to reach the window.
    3. Added decorations to the house.
      1. Floating candle arrangement on landing window over the stairs
      2. Cute owl+fake succulent on the toilet windowsill
      3. Real succulents added into some incredibly cute fox pots my husband bought me 
    4. Worked on clearing the upstairs landing. No photos though because as soon as I cleared part, it seems to get other crap covering it!
    5. Moved two inherited sewing boxes upstairs into my sewing room
      1. Box 1 belonged to my grandmother, and I have a vague memory of her saying that Grandad made it for her. It now has a permanent home underneath the part of my desk above my cutting mat as it has castors on so I can pull it in and out.
      2. Box 2, is a lovely wooden box-table thing. I've cleared out the inside, and am currently experimenting with places to put it permanently, but haven't decided where that will be yet. I've also not filled it back up - I combined the contents with existing "stock", so all my threads are together, and so on - and now I need to decide what to keep in it. I'm currently inclining towards using it for pins, needs, tape measures, and cutting things, but I'm not certain. 
    6. Cleared stairs. As with the landing, this area breeds crap, and while it IS somewhat clearer than this time last month, it's not clear per se.
    7. We've also both done bits and bobs of clearing in the kitchen and main room over the month, but still nowhere near done!

  4. Reading: Books, Short stories, and Articles

I've done SO much better on reading this month and it feels good!
    1. Frankissstein: A Love Story by Jeanette Winterson
      Book group book, listened on Audio. Narrators were brilliant. Book was... flawed. Not one I'd recommend, although I'd absolutely love to read a book by Winterson solely focussing on the historical Mary Shelley as those parts were excellent. Very confused on trans vs agender vs nonconforming, and managed to create a character who merged all three into a failure of any.
    2. BBC History Magazine, May 2021
      Gradually catching up with my back issues at last!
    3. Asperger's Syndrome-That Explains Everything: An Attempt to Explain Some of Everything in an Education, Social and Life Setting by Stephen Bradshaw
      Ye gods I loathed this book! It's so dated, even though it was only published in 2012/13.
    4. The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After by Julia Quinn. 
      Been meaning to read this since about 2012, but never quite got around to it. Then I had a £3 off voucher for Google Play ebooks, with this being £3.99, I went for it. Then accidentally read it the same day in one sitting...
    5. The American Gods Quartet by Neil Gaiman
      I read the first two books in the Quartet years ago, but I found this in my Kindle selection

    6. Also finished 79% of the audiobook for The House in the Cerulean Sea. Unfortunately my loan time ran out just before finishing, and I've now got SIX MONTHS waiting list before I can finish it! *cries*
Planned for July and August
    1. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (Book Group book for July)
    2. A Death in the Family by Caroline Dunsford (Review copy)

      Finishing off:
    3. Into the London Fog by Elizabeth Dearnley
    4. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemison
    5. Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorofor

      Short stories and articles
    6. Lithuanian National Costume in the 19th Century and in the 2nd Half of the 20th Century: Cultural Pollution and Remains of Authenticity by Egle Kumpikaite and Rimvydas MilaĊĦius in Societies 2021, 11(1):17
    7. The House of Aunts by Zen Cho
    8. The Perseverance of Angela's Past Life by Zen Cho
    9. Chicken Chicken Bang Bang by Zen Cho
I've also bought my Hugo subscription for 2021, so I now have to read those books too. I'm going to write a separate post for my reading planning for the rest of 2021, just so I can see a) how much I WANT to read, and then b) how much of that I read vs reading something completely different!

Working on the parason - playing with geometry to create the correct size triangle for this frame

Draft of the parasol cover pattern at the stage of an inverted V while I played with angles.Large parasol frame from Vena Cava


This is the sewing box inherited from my Great Aunt, now mostly emptied except for the loose parts for my parasol frame.


The sewing box inherited from my grandmother. I have vague memories of this sitting in the corner of her sitting room when I was very small... It has a lightly padded top, covered with a soft turquoise fabric, and then sides are wood covered with a wicker effect on the outside. The wicker effect is painted a golden colour. 

Draft / mockup pieces for my Regency stays. Next step is to tack these together, and then try it on for size. The draft in in a very heavy canvas I had lying around from another project years ago. It's very stiff, but I'm hoping that I may still be able to use it as a lining layer for the final project. Yes, the pieces badly needs ironing!

Buckram pieces for the regency bonnet. Next step is to wire the edges of the pieces when I find something strong enough to cut the millinery wire I have.

My new decorations. Left is the fake succulent in the owl pot, which is in the loo, and on the right is the floating candle thing I bought for the hallway window area. The mirror is helping to lighten the space in the dreary rain we're currently having! Below them is one of my fox pots with real succulents in it. 





July Plans

Since I am not planning to do an update for the end of July, due to being on holiday, here are my plans for the next two months. I also fully intend to blur the two months together to have both Challenges running simultaneously.

Crafting

Challenge inspirations: ~Just Do IT! and Academia and Allure

July:
The aim with the July challenge is to push ourselves out of our comfort zone a little. Not necessarily doing something we'd never do, more a challenge to try that thing you want to, but were afraid of. Here's my thoughts of things I want to do but haven't had the nerve so far
  1. Underwear - cording on my Regency corset
  2. Crochet - complete one of the kits I bought last year from Aldi 
  3. Or more accurately 2a. Shelter are doing a 30 day crochet challenge, which I may join in.
  4. Actually finish the bloody fox toy I started sewing up last summer!
  5. Petticoat for my 1950s style Hell Bunny dresses. This counts because a) I would need it for the wedding I'm attending, and b) because I've been vaguely thinking about doing this for AGES. Doing one myself, as opposed to buying one, would allow me to make it in cottons which I feel would be FAR more comfortable year-around.

August:
"Sensible" things like those worn by an academic, a teacher or a librarian. One could also be inspired by historical academia, such as astronomy, astrology, steam powered devices, armillary spheres, globes or trains. Travel, research, and natural history also are suggested here. 

In extremis of ideas or time, "I'm a librarian and I'm wearing it" will do fine!
  1. Sensible clothes - Fan skirt
  2. Sensible clothes - 1890s blouse
  3. Book or steam train print fabric
  4. Planning only - book dragon idea

Other stuff

Baking

  • Finish off bread mix - either bake or dispose of
  • "Christmas" cake - for "Summer Christmas"
  • Variation on Cupcake Jemma's Healthy-ish breakfast muffins

Tidying 

Cleaning and tidying for July / August is likely to be proportionally less as we are planning on travelling for at least 3 weeks of the next two months. That said, there always remains innumerable tasks to do here.

I do have a tentative plan to photograph and inventory on Trello all my existing fabrics, with the remaining amounts. This should help a lot when both planning projects, and when deciding what I need to buy - I'm eternally saying "I'm though I bought some of x ages ago, but now I can't be certain", so an inventory would help me to know what I've got, and also how much remains of it. 

Shopping

Craft and non-craft related purchases:

  • Wire cutters (if I can't find something to make-do with in my husband's tool stash)
  • A broadly Victorian corset - probably relatively cheap.
    Mostly to use while fitting clothing, with the intention of either commissioning a custom fit one, or making one myself "sometime". I don't enjoy corsetry, but I do love the support of wearing corsets and stays. Ideally I would love to own a corset for each decade of the 19th Century, plus a late-medieval "supportive kirtle".

Draft Plans for 2021 forwards

In Progress
  1. Accessories
    1. Regency bonnet
    2. Parasol 
  2. 1820s/30s Stays
    1. Breast cups work - adaptation from D cup to my more copious HH/J cup size
    2. Mock-up Because needed for Regency dress mock-up
    3. Buy wooden busk - bought paint stirers!
  3. Circle skirt petticoat (pattern planning stage)
Planned
  1. Hats
    1. 1890s/Edwardian brimmed hat
  2. Fan-skirt
    1. Wool blend
    2. 100% wool
  3. Stays
    1. Practice cording
    2. Practice boning
    3. Final version
  4. Edwardian blouse / shirtwaist
    1. Mock up
    2. Final
  5. 1818 Dress
    1. Petticoat
    2. Mock-up
    3. Final
    4. Decoration
  6. American Duchess cape
    1. As in pattern
    2. Again but with a hood
  7. 1890s men's three piece suit
  8. 1830s men's three piece suit
  9. 1950s dress(es)
  10. Circle skirts (in general, because I love them)
  11. 1950s tops - to go with circle skirts
  12. Russian themed
    1. Princess Charlotte's Russian Dress
    2. Matryoshka pincushion
    3. Sarafan - Vasilisa the Beautiful
    4. Sarafan - Firebird (cosplay border)
  13. Cycling shorts (modern, padded)
  14. Cycling trousers (historical, to accommodate modern underneath)
  15. Historical Cosplays
    1. Bagpuss
    2. Warcraft undead lady
    3. Book dragon

No comments:

Post a Comment