Saturday 15 May 2021

2021 Plans Updated and Expanded

 So, I wrote a post earlier this year outlining my original crafting plans for 2021, which was made using the Historybounding Discord channel's prompts. I'm now updating my plan based on the following:

a) Reality - I now have a better grasp on what I am able to realistically complete in a given month

b) Using the British Guild challenges instead

c) Adding non-crafting plans (mostly reading)

So without further ado, here is my updated 2021 Plan

Crafting

Prompts (from this month onwards)

  • Mythology May
  • "Sumer is icumen in"
  • Just do it!
  • Academia and Allure
  • Spooks & Secrets
  • Out to Sea
  • No Buy
  • Winter Woolies

May 

Mythology, Legends, Folktales

I've always planned to make an outfit based on Russian folklore, so I'm still hoping to get at least part of that underway this month. It might turn out to be a much longer project, but I wanted to get a catalyst section completed in May. Currently I am hoping to make a version of a sarafan, based on dress from an unknown museum. I had thought it was in the Государственный исторический музей, as I have a copy of a page showing it in an exhibition held there, but since I can NOT find it anywhere in their collections, I have to assume it was a loan item. I'll share the inspiration image(s) I'm using on another post as I hope to write more on Russian folk costume later this month.

June 

Summer - theme or purpose

I have a vague plan to make an Edwardian or Late Victorian hat, to go with my walking skirt planned outfit. A nicely decorated hat could double as a summer hat. I may also consider a fan and a parasol as useful things for summer...

As Pride is still within the remit of June for the updated challenges, I may colour theme it with the Ace/Aego colours.

Other options I have considered:
1950s swimsuit or other beachwear
Summer pattern circle skirt (because I love circle skirts!) - with a petticoat to match if I make this
Edwardian blouse - nice and cool for summer, but also covered up, because sunburn

July 

Just do It!

I have no specific plans here yet, but honestly there are many aspects of sewing which I've not yet had the confidence to try, so there's lots of opportunities here.. This may be where I finally actually work on the Edwardian blouse! I may also use July to get a nice big chunk of my Regency underthings sorted.

August 

Academia and Allure

Well, I guess August is the time to let my inner librarian become my outer one! My plan for August is primarily to make an Edwardian (stroke Late Victorian) walking skirt from the pattern I bought last summer. I may line it in something fun though, especially if I can find a cute books related fabric print... 

This month may also be the one where I try out the American Duchess cloak pattern.

September 

Spooks and Secrets

I am not ashamed to state that I am a goth and that I love the gothy aesthetic as much now as I did as a student. I've not got any definite ideas here, but vague thoughts include

Bonnet trimming - can get quite autumnal and/or spooky without much difficulty
Cobweb themed circle skirt (and hopefully a top to match)

October 

Out to Sea - Nautical or Regency (thinking of Trafalgar Day)

I'd like to spend October working on a spencer, pelisse or redingote for my Regency 1818 project. The fashions for these sorts of coats were strongly influenced by military fashion. A waistcoat is also part of the borrowing of men's fashions for women, and would be a nice thing to make...

November

No Buy November. 

Whatever I make this month must not cost me anything if at all possible. I am personally choosing to make exceptions for items purchased at charity shops or otherwise second hand, as I feel Not Bought New still aligns with the ethos of No Buy.

I will NOT be applying this to my life in general in November, notably because November into early December has a LOT of family birthdays, plus spreading out buying helps a lot towards making Christmas affordable. In acknowledgement of this aspect, however, I will continue to make a conscious effort to make as many of my Christmas presents as possible. 

December

Winter Woolies

If not done earlier in the year, then both the AD Cape and Pelisse fit here beautifully. I may also focus on the "wool" aspect and try again to learn how to crochet.

I will also be using December to make presents, so that will be the "Winter" aspect...!

Reading

Reading is one of my longest persisting loves, and I have managed to completely lose my mojo over lockdown. I need to get it back! There is some flexibility in this list for adding new books that I buy, borrow, or which are selected for my book group. I hope to pay for the Hugo voting packet again this year, so I'll also be adding those books to the list. Here's my Short and Longer lists for 2021, where Short List is library books, books I've started reading, and a few others. The Longer List is for books I would like to get around to reading this year, and also books I want to read, but which are stored at the other end of the country from me... I also am resolving to ensure that I read at least 50% of my magazine that I have on subscription (because I accept that not every article is going to grab my interest each month). 

In "honour" of writing this, I am going to read at least one short story off my list before I go to sleep tonight! 

Short list

Started and need finishing:

Who Fears Death
The Island of Sodor
Cold Comfort Farm
The Fifth Season
No Longer a Gentleman
Regent's Park [history book]

Library books

Blood of Elves
Children of Blood and Bone
Cursor's Fury
Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Elsewhens
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
The Hunt
The Kingdom of Copper
A Peace Divided
Redemption's Blade

Short Stories

The Angel of Khan el-Khalili
Chicken Chicken Bang Bang
The Perseverance of Angela's Past Life
Head of a Snake, Tail of a Dragon
If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again
The House of Aunts
The Queen's Army (Lunar Chronicles)
Book of Souls (Prof Croft)

Long list (additional possibilities)

Hugo Leftovers

A Memory Called Empire
The City in the Middle of the Night
The Light Brigade
Middlegame

Presents (2020 Birthday and Christmas)

Prudence (re-read)
Imprudence
Competence
Reticence
Strange Brew
Of Wars, and Memories, and Starlight

Finally I have 5 or 6 books which were given to me in return for reviews. I need to do my genuine best to read them (or DNF) and write genuine reviews before the end of 2021. 

No comments:

Post a Comment